Download the Battleship game board, printable with positioning guide. This version instructs 1 aircraft carrier (5 squares), 1 battleship (4 squares), 2 cruisers (3 squares), 2 destroyers (2 squares) and 3 submarines (1 square).
The Battleship game is a traditional pen and paper game which became popular in 1930.
Printable Battleship game board PDF file
Get the printable PDF file with the Battleship game board here.
How to play
Battleship game goal
Sink all your partner’s ships by taking turns at guessing the locations of the other player’s ships on a grid.
Each player takes two grids. On one grid, the player arranges ships and records the shots taken by the opponent. On the other grid the player records their own shots against their opponent’s ships.
Each player’s fleet consists of the following ships:
- 1 x Aircraft carrier – 5 squares
- 1 x Battleship – 4 squares
- 1 x Cruiser – 3 squares
- 2 x Destroyers – 2 squares each
- 3 x Submarines – 1 square each
Note! Each ship occupies a certain number of adjacent squares on the grid, horizontally or vertically. The ships cannot overlap (i.e., only one ship can occupy any given square in the grid). Ship corners also cannot touch. There must be at least one space between ships.
During the game, the players take turns in taking a shot at the opponent, by calling out the coordinates of a square (e.g. F3). The opponent responds with “hit” if it hits a ship or “miss” if it misses. If the player has hit the ship, that player has a chance to continue his/her turn. When he/she misses – the other player may go.
Note: It’s very important that your opponent does not see your grid.
If the player has hit the last remaining square of a ship, the opponent must announce the name of the ship; e.g. “You sank my battleship”.
During the game, each player should record their opponent’s shots on the left-hand grid, and their shots on the right-hand grid as “X” for a hit and “O” for a miss
Romantic version of Battleship – “Love Battleship” game by OpenMity
Me and my husband made a romantic version of the classic Battleship game and upgraded it with a naughty twist – “Love Battleship”. The game is based on the classic Battleship game rules, but upgraded with additional rules and 50 playful foreplay and sex activities.
Romantic game rules
- When the little ships (those that occupy 1 and 2 squares) are sunk – the player who sank the ship can take a “foreplay card”, read it out loud and play it immediately. Players are not required to fulfill the action on the card and may instead discuss with their partner or spouse on why they do not want to proceed.
- When the big ships (3, 4 and 5 squares) are sunk– the player who sank the ship can take a card from “intimate activity”, read it out loud and put it in a separate pile for late use (once winner is determined):
- The first player to lose all their ships loses the game. The winner can choose two of the intimate activity cards that have already been picked up during the game for the losing partner to perform. And again – as usually, discuss with your partner weather you want to proceed with the chosen activity or not.
Where can I buy Love Battleship game?
This romantic game “Love Battleship” is now available in both printable and physical versions:
- Love Battleship physical version:
- Available in Etsy shop: Love Battleship Game for Couples
- Available at Amazon: OpenMity Love Battleship
- Available at OpenMity.com online shop: Love Battleship Romantic game for couples
8 Free Romantic Games for Couples
10 Naughty and Kinky Sex Board Games for Couples
If you liked our brand and products, make sure you follow us on social media.
Married to Charles, mother of two. I work in finance, but currently I’m on maternity leave. I’ll be writing about what it’s like to be in a relationship both as a woman and a mother, while at the same time developing my career. And also, of course, about some of the fun games that we’ve thought of.
Latest in our blog